Ahhh the first week of school. There’s nothing better than a good “back to school” outfit, am I right? There are so many aspects of going back to school that I love, and a lot of it has to do with “new”. First, there’s the wardrobe, then there are the school supplies. Finally, a girl could go crazy over the dorm and apartment decor.
But what I’m talking about today is the fact that sometimes, planning your back to school outfits is hard. You think you know what you’re wearing, but it’s just so hard to really know if your outfit is perfect.
I struggle all. the. time. trying to figure out what I’m wearing to a specific event, and it honestly leaves my bedroom looking like the aftermath of a tornado. I’d had enough of those disastrous situations so I decided to try something different.
This summer, after using Hanger, I’ve been so much more organized, and I plan my outfits out from the comfort of my bed without destroying my closet in the process. Here are some of my top tips for planning your back to school outfits with ease.
1. Purge Your Closet.
- Before you begin the process of uploading your closet to Hanger, I would definitely recommend that you clean out your closet. This way, you can have everything in your closet that you’re obsessed with, and start the year fresh with only the minimal clothes you want. That way, it makes it so simple to not only upload your closet to Hanger, but also to really be able to see what you need to buy for the new school year.
2. Make a Shopping List.
- Next, you’ll need to create your shopping list that you’ll be doing your back to school shopping with. Sometimes, there will be a year where I don’t need anything, but other times there will be years when it feels like I need everything. Make a list though, to avoid buying everything you see…that’s what tends to happen to me and my bank account proceeds to make me sad every time I look at it.
3. Upload, Upload, Upload!
- Whether it takes you an afternoon or if you do it in rounds, upload all of your clothes, shoes, and accessories to the Hanger app. Make sure that you take clear pictures in a well-lit area so all of the colors and details pop when you look at them on your phone screen. Make sure you take the time to add in details such as the price and the place where you bought the item.
4. Plan Away.
- So, now that you have all of your clothes uploaded to Hanger, it’s time to organize your outfits. My favorite thing to do is label each outfit I make with the occasion that it’s for, and add all of the items, sometimes even down to the bra! My preferred spot to make outfits is…laying in bed while jamming to music. It’s the perfect way to chill and plan my outfits without all the physical clothing being strewn all around my room.
5. Find Your Friends.
- My favorite thing to do on the Hanger app is to browse my friends’ closets so that I can see their different styles on display. Not only can I get new outfit ideas based on trends I see in their closet, but…I can borrow their clothes for myself. When I have something coming up on campus or a special event, I usually get a case of the “I have nothing to wear”. When I’m in one of those moods, I always look to my friends to see what I can borrow from them, rather than going out and dropping at least $30 (at the very minimum) on a new outfit. This is a great way to promote sustainability and try some new things!
Well, after adding your friends, you’re all set! There are a lot more features to the app of course, but these are some of my favorites that allow me to best plan for going back to school. It honestly is such a stress reliever to be able to do this anywhere and everywhere I am!
A Drop In The Ocean
Inspire your friends' style by connecting closets and creating outfits on the Hanger app.
Sign up now!
Olivia is a junior at the University of Missouri - Columbia studying Textile and Apparel Management with minors in Business, Spanish, and Entrepreneurship. Olivia loves traveling the world and seeing how fashion looks around the globe, as well as promoting sustainability in fashion. When she’s not working on something fashion-related, Olivia is probably at a Cardinals game, watching Gilmore Girls reruns, or learning how to become a better cook! Check out what Olivia’s up to on her fashion + Travel blog, www.adropintheocean.us.
Imagine being able to say “Alexa, ask Hanger to find a pair of shoes and a small purse to go with my Kate Spade dress for this weekend” and instantly getting recommendations from your favorite brands on your phone or nearest display.